Kiewit Corporation Area Superintendent - DOE / Nuclear in Oak RIdge, Tennessee
Requisition ID: 154644
Job Level: Senior Level
Home District/Group: Kiewit Power Constructors District
Department: Construction Operations
Employment Type: Full Time
Want to build something incredible like first-of-their-kind Small Modular Nuclear Reactors or highly complex facilities that support our National Security Mission? The Kiewit Nuclear / DOE team is looking for the best talent to come and help construct these incredible projects that our nation’s future depends on. Kiewit is one of North America’s largest and most respected construction and engineering organizations. We have been continuously ranked among Engineering News-Record’s (ENR) top 10 overall contractors (#3 for 2022) for the past several decades.
Our DOE/Nuclear team is hiring an Area Superintendent. This position will be of critical importance to our Oak Ridge Operations Team and will contribute to our long-term market success. You will play a critical role in our Get Work and Build Work Strategies. This means a split between the office and field, supporting and overseeing estimate development, constructability analysis, and ensuring the leadership of field crews. You with be responsible for the organization, work methods, scheduling, cost control, conformity with drawings and specifications, workmanship, and assignment of work to accomplish the execution of the work, either directly or through the General Foreman or Foreman. You will also work to maintain positive working relationships with clients, architects/engineers, suppliers, subcontractors, and job site staff.
Kiewit Power Constructors (KPC) provides direct-hire construction services for Power Generation utilizing a union craft force. Kiewit Power Constructors builds major EPC power plant projects throughout North America.
This position will be in the Oak Ridge, TN area office in support of our local project sites. The candidate must be open to travel to support out-of-area projects as required.
• Review project estimate or plan to determine estimated job cost, procedures for accomplishing project, staffing requirements, and allotment of available resources to various phases of the project
• Support estimate development including take-off reviews and supplier reviews.
• Coordinates daily/weekly meetings with all the area superintendents and project engineers to develop means and methods, schedule contracting needs and long lead delivery times
• Manage all field operations and work sequence in conjunction with the Project Manager
• Oversee and approve the monthly job cost updates and quarterly cash flow projections. Also, review, approve and negotiate change orders
• Anticipate project needs with sufficient lead-time to avoid delay in production
• Establishes work plan and staffing for each phase of project, works closely with Project Manager and HR team to manage relationships with staff and craft
• Form and lead an effective project management team, define and delegate management responsibilities, and set goals
• Resolve any unexpected technical difficulties and other problems that may arise
• Be an effective leader, communicate with department leads regarding work scopes
• Ensure project superintendents understand and execute the work as required
• Ensure safety, quality and production is maintained
• Responsible for project closeout. Secure loose ends by finishing paperwork, obtaining retainages, supporting supervisors and expediting claims
• Be responsible for ensuring the project meets or exceeds its financial objectives, by overseeing and monitoring each stage of the development
• Experience with Federal Government Work, preferred Department of Energy Experience or Nuclear Industry.
• Degree or diploma in a related field, or a related combination of training and experience
• 7 years of related experience; construction and management experience required
• Familiar with technical drawings systems and planning & reporting systems
• Ability to work with and manage unionized workers or subcontractors
• Communication – excellent oral presentation and written skills
• Goal oriented – able to set goals and achieve them
• Interpersonal – able to work well and persuade people at all organization levels
• Compliance - Follows applicable laws, codes, regulations, or zoning for required work
• Demonstrated clear logical written, verbal, and communication and presentation skills. Excellent Interpersonal skills to cooperate and work as a team
• Leader that seeks and accepts responsibility and leads by example
• Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite; Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Eligibility for this position requires US citizenship; the successful candidate must provide proof of US citizenship in order to obtain badge access to the site
• Candidate must complete security questionnaire and successfully clear site access requirements
• All employees are subject and agree to random drug and alcohol testing as a condition of employment
• Must be able to obtain a security clearance, as applicable
• Regular, reliable attendance
• Work productively and meet deadlines timely
• Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with supervisors, employees, and others individually or in a team environment.
• Perform work safely and effectively. Understand and follow oral and written instructions, including warning signs, equipment use, and other policies.
• Work during normal operating hours to organize and complete work within given deadlines. Work overtime and weekends as required.
• FIELD ROLES ONLY May work at various different locations and conditions may vary.
We offer our fulltime staff employees a comprehensive benefits package that’s among the best in our industry, including top-tier medical, dental and vision plans covering eligible employees and dependents, voluntary wellness and employee assistance programs, life insurance, disability, retirement plans with matching, and generous paid time off.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.